When you are a homeowner, most people will probably think that first of all, the financial responsibilities are quite high. Plus, there is time and energy that is needed when it comes to home ownership.
Like you would have regular checks with your car to make sure that it is in tip-top condition, you also need to make sure that you keep up with regular home maintenance checks. This will help to keep things from being problems in the future, and will avoid wasting money.
It can feel quite intimidating to think about the huge range of tasks, especially if you are new to being a homeowner. There is no denying that there is a large range of things to be thinking about. From roof repairs to looking at Central Vacuum repair; the list can seem endless.
However, the good news is that you can do a lot of the tasks on your list, and do so by yourselves, without much experience. You can always look things up online, and after all, local workmen could easily be called upon too if needed. Do these little things often and it can really help you to stop feeling overwhelmed.
Home Maintenance checklist
- Inspect and change out heating and air conditioning filters. If you find that the filter is dirty, then change it out. Otherwise, it is a good idea to inspect it again next time.
- Kitchen sink disposal cleaning is another monthly task, but obviously, do it more frequently if it is needed. You can get cleaning fluid, but a simple way is to freeze white vinegar in ice cube trays, and then when they melt, they can go through the system, as well as sharpen up the blades a little bit.
- If you have fire extinguishers in the home, then they should be checked monthly too.
- Your oven and hood should be inspected at least monthly, and cleaned with a thick degreaser. If you haven’t done this for a while, then you will certainly be in for a treat.
- Testing your smoke alarms and things like carbon dioxide detectors are a must, at least quarterly. They can be tested quite simply, and if the alarm makes a noise, then things are good to go. If you don’t get a response then change batteries, or get a new one immediately.
- Have you ever checked the water softness level where you live? If not, then now is the time, and then keep it up as a task to do each quarter. You could check water softener and then add any salt if it is needed. It is a quick check, so an easy one to add to the list.
- Giving your house a deep clean will not only be a healthy thing for you all, but will help to stop any problems from dirt arising later down the line. Of course, you are likely to be doing some daily cleaning. But each quarter, make sure that you do a thorough deep clean, where all things like appliances and windows are cleaned, as well as dusting every nook and cranny.