Smoothies are a great way to include more fruits and vegetables in your diet. But whether or not smoothies are healthy depends on how you prepare it. The ingredients you put together and the quantities you use are what make the smoothie healthy or not.
To make sure you are taking in healthy smoothie, it is best to include spinach, kale, lettuce, collards and even green tea.
For starters, you can begin with small amounts and work your way to adding more greens as time goes by.
You can also steam your greens a bit before you blend it. But make sure not to keep it on fire for too long because it might lose some nutrients if you do.
Benefits of green smoothies
- Green smoothies are easily digested, so they help improve the digestive system.
- They maintain cholesterol in the body. This aids in the production of certain hormones and assist bile production in the liver.
- It improves the immune system. Greens contain vitamins and nutrients that helps to to improve the immune system, making you healthy.
- It helps lose weight. Taking in green smoothie is a great way to be full without having to eat much. So it’s a great way to lose weight.
- It promotes healthy hair, skin and nails.
Green smoothie recipes
- Fresh spinach + mango + pineapple + water
- Kale + water + banana
- Green tea + strawberries + lettuce + banana
- Coconut milk + collards + banana + apple
- Green tea + spinach + berries
To prepare a healthy green smoothie, add 3 cups of greens to 2 cups of liquid and 1 cup of fruit.
You can also spice your green smoothie with ginger, cinnamon or cocoa powder.
For liquid, you can use water, green tea or some coconut milk or almond milk.
You can also add a handful of your favourite protein shake.