One thing that people find really hard to do is to say no. Often times, we find ourselves in awkward situations because we couldn’t say no. You have to remember that saying no doesn’t make you a bad person. Saying no shouldn’t make you feel guilty. You can be a great person with a kind heart and still say no.
When someone asks for a favour and you know very well you cant deliver or you don’t want to do it, just go ahead and say no. Say no without having to explain yourself.
Do what makes you happy. Do what makes you feel comfortable. People pleasing is not good for you. One important step in self care is to stop people pleasing.
BENEFITS OF SAYING NO
- It will save you your freedom, time and energy.
- Setting boundaries is very good for your physical, mental and emotional health. Take good care of yourself.
- If you learn to say no to things you are not interested in, it will make room for more important things.
- You will have time to do the things that actually matter to you and you will have even more time to rest.
WAYS TO SAY NO
When you say no, you don’t need any long explanations, don’t be rude or mean. Say no in a calm and polite tone.
Don’t say may be when what you really want to say is no. Below are some nice ways to say no.
- Sounds nice but I am not available
- I am honoured that you asked me but I can’t do it.
- I’m sorry but I can’t help you at this time
- Unfortunately, it’s not a good time.
- I am not available at the moment, may be next time.
- Unfortunately, this is not something I can do right now.
- I really appreciate you asking me but I can’t commit to that right now.
- Sorry but I cant make it, may be another time.
- Thanks for thinking of me but I can’t.
- No, thanks.